Sunday, June 04, 2006

My "first" day at work and other issues

On Friday at church Soriah told me that I could come in on Sunday to start my editing projects. So, I left today when Andrew went to school to take the taxi to Shmeisani. I got out at the Arab Bank and walked to the office without any problems (last time I got lost and ran into the Trash Collector). So, I get inside the office and there is a secretary. That's it. No one else is there. Everyone is in a meeting--all day. So, once again I have wasted my time going to the office. Hopefully Soriah calls me soon because I'd really like to do this project.

Anyway, since I didn't really have anything else to do, I decided that I would try to take the bus home. That meant finding Queen Rania street. I knew the general location of the street from the time we got our visas at the police station at Shmeisani, so I traced our steps. I walked from the bank to the military base and from there up to the main street where we caught the taxi. But then I couldn't really remember where the taxi turned to get us to the police station...so I just started wandering up and down all these roads. I wandered around for about an hour but didn't find the street I wanted, so I decided to just take a taxi home. But I couldn't catch a taxi, so I had to walk back to the main road.

I finally caught a cab, get in...turn a corner...and end up on Queen Rania street. So I ended up spending 90 piasters to get home instead of 15. Oh, well. Now I know where Queen Rania street is.

***More on the Citadel Story***

Yesterday after walking around all day we were all pretty worn out, and really dirty. Crystal and Jason both took showers and Andrew and I were going to, but when Andrew went to turn on the water...there wasn't any. This was rather upsetting because, not only were our feet dirty but I had something fall on my head while we were out (I'm not sure what it was: bird droppings or food...) so I really had wanted to wash my hair...but there was no water so I guess we were out of luck. So, instead of showering, we used baby wipes to wash our feet and faces...that was okay, but we really are looking forward to showering.

No comments: